First home in Bahama Shores. Burnette F. Stevenson first developed Bahama Shores in 1926. He called the neighborhood Alta Marina. The first home was built in the Mediterranean style by celebrated St. Petersburg architect Edgar Ferdon.
The Bahama Shores Neighborhood is located just south of Little Bayou. It is bounded on the west by 4th Street and on the east and south by Tampa Bay. Little Bayou is located just south of Big Bayou, adjacent to the Driftwood Neighborhood. A bayou is a water body tributary to another body of water, or simply a marsh. Little Bayou merges with Tampa Bay and is fed by Little Bayou Creek, which originally began from springs that now feed Lake Vista.… Read More
Waterfront Park overlapped today’s Al Lang Stadium, with home plate near the middle of today’s parking lot. The Park was built as a part of a deal to get the Boston Braves to come to St. Pete for spring training. It was completed in 1922. The Braves continued to train in St. Pete until 1937. Ruth left the Yankees to join the Braves in 1935, his last year as a player. Waterfront Park was demolished in 1947 and replaced with the first Al Lang Stadium, image circa 1925. (Courtesy of St. Petersburg Museum of History)
On New Year’s Day, St. Petersburg celebrated the centennial of the World’s First Airline.… Read More
Showing off a winner! Equestrian scene in St. Petersburg, 1912.
What was St. Pete like before the automobile? It was a city of horses and wagons, of course. One of our earliest settlers, David Watt, left an account of traveling from what is now Gulfport to the St. Pete area: “…they jogged along slowly behind the sleepy old horse for mile after mile through the unbroken forest, without seeing a clearing or a house… He notices that the soil was all sand – nothing but sand everywhere. The horse went along over the road silently, his hoofs making no noise, and the wheels rolled silently too in the loose material, except when they bumped over a palmetto or a tree root.… Read More